Basic First Aid features the first aid content distributed
across the Rookie, Ranger, and Star awards in the Canadian Swim
Patrol program. Basic First Aid (3-4 hr.) includes how to
contact emergency medical services, rescue breathing, how to treat
choking and minor injuries.
Evaluation & certification: Current
Lifesaving Instructors or Standard First Aid Instructors evaluate
and certify candidates.
Candidate recognition: Certification card.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize when and how to call
emergency medical services (EMS).
- Demonstrate primary assessment including hazards and ABCs of an
unconscious, breathing victim.
- Demonstrate rescue breathing with a victim of the candidate's
choice or with a manikin.
- Simulate the appearance and treatment of a conscious victim
with an obstructed airway.
- Demonstrate primary assessment and emergency care for a victim
- Demonstrate primary assessment and appropriate care for