Lifesaving Fitness Award
Lifesaving Fitness (10 hr.): teaches the
importance of physical fitness in lifesaving. The award is designed
for participants of all ages who learn how to measure, monitor, and
maintain personal physical fitness for lifesaving emergencies.
Prerequisite: 30 years of age or under or
Evaluation & certification: Lifesaving
Instructors evaluate all items and certify candidates.
Candidate recognition: Bronze, Silver, or Gold
Fitness Award crest, certification card.
- Strength & endurance: Demonstrate an
understanding of how to evaluate and improve strength and endurance
fitness for lifesaving and physical activity.
- Intensity & strength: Demonstrate ability
to evaluate intensity of activity and personal strength.
- Rescue breathing: Demonstrate rescue breathing
for a period of 3 min. at pool- or dockside (victim and rescuer in
deep water) with a victim of the candidate's choice or with a
suitable device (manikin or equivalent).
- Power: Swim any stroke (dive start) 25 m or
yd. or 20 yd. in Bronze, Silver or Gold time.
- Endurance: Swim any stroke (dive start) 200 m
or yd. in Bronze, Silver or Gold time.
- Upper body strength: Demonstrate ability to
get out of the water onto a pool deck or dock using only the arms
to lift self from the water and place one foot on the deck or
- Supportive kick: While treading water, hold a
4.5 kg or 10 lb. object at the surface with one or two hands for
Bronze, Silver or Gold time.
- Removal of object: Remove a 9 kg (20 lb.)
object located at a depth of 3 m or yd. and at a distance of 3 m or
yd from dock or poolside; surface, carry and place on dock or
- Tow: Tow a passive victim (in Bronze, Silver
or Gold time), with a suitable buoyant device (ring buoy,
kickboard, rescue can or tube, etc.); rescuer and victim to start
in the water.